Canada Day Weekend – Cycling Pittsburgh
Thursday June 27 – Monday July 1, 2019
Celebrate Canada Day long weekend with a four day trip to Pittsburgh. Visit Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpiece, and attend rides hosted by a local cycling club, Premier Bicycle Club of Western Pennsylvania.
- Share four nights with TBN members in an Airbnb in downtown Pittsburgh and visit the sights of the “Steel City”, today experiencing a renaissance – voted “2019 US Food City” and named one of the world’s most livable cities. Pittsburgh, PA is about 5 hours’ drive from Toronto.
- Cycle on Saturday and Sunday, riding the rolling countryside outside of Pittsburgh, hosted by members of a local cycling club
- Spend a morning at Fallingwater, considered Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpiece (fallingwater.org)
- Two routes to choose from on each of Saturday and Sunday. The shorter route will be 35 to 35 miles (55 to 60 kms) with a vertical climb of 600 to 750 metres. The longer route will be 45 to 60 miles (70 to 90 kms) with elevation of 900 to 1500 metres. Note that these routes are considered Advanced Urban Roller.
Thursday, June 27th
- Leave Toronto early for a five hour drive to Pittsburgh, arrive by noon
- After lunch, take a city ride led by one of the local club’s ride leaders - short, 30 to 40 kms
- See some sights in Pittsburgh – Mount Washington, Elevated tram
- Group dinner with some of the local club members
- Drinks at a downtown bar for those interested
Friday, June 28th - Outing Day
- Drive approx. 90 minutes for an indepth morning tour at Fallingwater
- Afternoon whitewater rafting in Ohiopyle, PA (optional)
- Arrive back in Pittsburgh by early evening
- Meet and greet with Pittsburgh club members over dinner or drinks -discuss weekend rides
Saturday, June 29th
- Morning Ride – Sample route on mostly quiet country roads: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29251112 This ride takes riders from the North suburban community of Gibsonia, PA out to Saxonburg, PA on mostly quiet country roads. It is a loop back to Gibsonia. Typically, this ride can be started at 8 am and with rest stops, be completed by 12:30 pm.
- Lunch, relax, visit Bicycle Heaven museum in Pittsburgh. The largest Bike Museum in the World. You will not want to miss this when in town. (optional)
- Cookout/social opportunity for the evening and chance to discuss the next day’s ride.
Sunday, June 30th
- Morning Ride - a combination of quiet country roads and more city riding. Sample route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29251132 This route takes riders from the north suburban area to the small town of Sewickley, PA, known for it’s upper scale lifestyle and home of Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby. We may even ride past their homes! This ride can be completed by early afternoon
- Lunch with club members, relax and/or see additional sites in Pittsburgh
Monday, July 1st
- Return to Toronto – leave by 8 am to avoid Toronto rush hour traffic, back by early afternoon
Registration and Fees
We have booked one house with 6 bedrooms and 3 baths. houses.
House: 305 Miltenberger Street, Pittsburgh
There are 2 rooms with one bed are available for single or double occupancy and 4 rooms with 2 beds that are intended for 2 persons to share. If you are booking a room with one bed for double occupancy, you must pay the trip fee for 2 at the time of registration. TBN will help match room mates for rooms with 2 beds. If you know who you are sharing with, please indicate on the online form.
- Single occupancy in room with 1 bed - $350/person
- Double occupancy in room with 1 bed - $400/2 persons
- Double occupancy in room with 2 beds - $200/person
The fee for the Fallingwater Tour is $110 CAD per person. If you want to join the tour, please indicate on the form and the tour fee will be added to the trip fee.
What is Included in the Fee
The trip fee includes 4 nights of accommodations, breakfast supplies and snacks for each house. For those who opt for the Fallingwater Tour, there is an additional $110 fee.
Participants will also have to sign up separately for membership in the Pittsburgh Premier Bicycle Club, pbcwp.clubexpress.com, to participate in the rides and in order to comply with their insurance policies. The cost after a discount is USD $20 single and USD $32 for a couple. Please sign up online and pay directly to the club.
Transportation to and from Pittsburgh is not included in the trip fee. An attempt will be made to match participants for carpooling purposes – matching participants desiring a ride with those able to provide a ride.
For more information, contact Dan Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org