**** CANCELLED - The City Walk has been cancelled because the weather forecast for today includes a Wind Warning stating "Very strong southwest winds with frequent gusts of 100 to 110 km/h will begin near noon in the wake of a sharp arctic cold front blasting across the region" and "Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. Loose objects may be tossed by the wind and cause injury or damage." ****
Meet at 10 AM on the 2nd floor of the McDonald's on the north-east corner of Runnymede and Bloor near Runnymede subway station for a 10 Km walk to Salad King Restaurant and Yonge-Bloor Station.
The weather forecast indicates that it will be a wet and windy, although warm (9C) day. Because of the forecast I intend to stay near transit, to allow many early exit points, and to stay on major streets (Bloor, Dundas, and Yonge) to avoid potentially slippery side-streets.
The planned route is available on Ride With GPS at: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29363030.
The approximate distances to break locations and early exits are:
- 0.0 Km - McDonald's, 2218 Bloor West (coffee/bathrooms)
- 0.8 Km - High Park Station (subway)
- 1.4 Km - Keele Station (subway)
- 2.0 Km - Dundas West Station (subway)
- 3.3 Km - Lansdowne Ave (early exit to bus)
- 4.0 Km - Dufferin St (early exit to bus)
- 4.7 Km – Caldense Bakery, 1209 Dundas West (coffee/bathrooms)
- 4.8 Km - Ossignton Ave (early exit to bus)
- 6.1 Km - Bathurst St (early exit to bus)
- 6.7 Km - Spadina (early exit to streetcar)
- 7.6 Km - University Ave (early exit to shuttle bus)
- 8.2 Km - Dundas Station (subway)
- 8.3 Km - Salad King Restuarant, 340 Yonge (lunch)
- 8.8 Km - College Station (subway)
- 9.2 Km - Wellesley Station (subway)
- 9.9 Km - Bloor-Yonge Station (subway/bathrooms)
There is also 10 minute bus service on Dundas St, where we will be walking most of the time. The walk will be entirely on city streets, so shoes or boots suitable for the weather conditions should be fine.
There is currently a scheduled subway closure from St Clair West to Union this weekend, but please check https://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Subway_closures/index.jsp for any changes.
Non-members are welcome. This is an official TBN event, so they will be asked to sign the waiver form, but, like all winter walks, will not be charged the non-member fee.
If you have trouble finding us at the start, please call my cell at 416-917-8866. If I don't answer, try again, as I may miss the first call.
John Burdett – TBN City Walk Coordinator